Let me guess: you’ve said I just want a healthy relationship with food at least half a dozen times in your life.
You’ve wondered why you have no self-control, binge eat everything from chicken wings to ice cream while standing in front of the refrigerator, and think about food semi-constantly. You oscillate between the cleanest, greenest, leanest dinner there ever was and fettuccini alfredo followed by chocolate cake followed by #allthewine. Or you restrict and deprive yourself of “bad foods” because a moment on the lips is a lifetime on the hips and all that jazz. Maybe you went vegan in a secret attempt to slip into a size zero or you’ve tried Paleo because so-and-so lost twelve inches that way. Either way, you’ve been on every diet in the book. You know how many calories are hanging out on your plate without having to check the back of a pasta box.
Homeslice, let’s bring a little peace to that pie. If you’re ready for a change, stick with me.
This space is for you if you:
- Would like to ditch the calorie counters, fitness apps, and scales for something a little more intuitive, sexy, and rebellicious — but don’t know where to start.
- Want to love your body the way it is, right now — curves, cellulite, the whole shebang — but need a little encouragement and coaching.
- Believe all women are real women, regardless of shape or size, and want to lead a revolution with the best of ‘em.
- Are SO ready to see some diversity.
- Would love to eat without anxiety, shame, or remorse — whether it’s a big ass bowl of kale salad or Rocky Road ice cream — and are ready to learn the ropes.
- Want to equip yourself with practical, real-world nutrition tips (no one’s gonna find you sprouting legumes on your night off any time soon).
- Know, deep down, the weight on your shoulders is causing more issues for you than the weight on your body.
- Are down with recommendations like: get a massage, spend more time with friends, take a mental health day, go on a whirlwind of an adventure, spend a day in bed reading and drinking tea and watching Netflix and not feeling an ounce of guilt about any of it.
- Love wine. Well, it’s not a pre-requisite, but you’ll find yourself in damn good company.
Things weren’t always the way they are now. I spent my teenaged years obsessed over the scale, my weight, and every bite of food I ate. I portioned out my pasta, skipped breakfast religiously, and declined dessert for years, including gelato on a trip to Italy. I couldn’t eat chocolate without feeling massive shame, guilt, and remorse. I tried every diet in the book, and when I decided to stop dieting, I shifted to non-diet diets — 100 mile, Paleo, vegetarianism — to control, restrict, and deny.
I discovered the power and beauty of real food through Sarah Britton’s My New Roots. After reading through a few entries I quickly enrolled in nutrition school, and completed my courses while working full-time in corporate marketing.
My name is Sarah Berneche and I believe in honest, authentic health advice; self-love; and ridiculously long bouts of laughter. After graduating with merit from the Canadian School of Natural Nutrition, I went on to create The BarreFuel Project, the nutrition program at Barreworks fitness studios in Toronto, where I’ve worked with hundreds of women via workshops, programs, and personal consulting.
After sitting in on a talk about eating disorders, I knew I’d found my purpose, and decided to pursue further additional studies in the field. I completed advanced courses through CSNN (Mental Health I, the Psychoendrocrinoloy of Eating) and I’m currently enrolled to become a Certified Intuitive Eating Counsellor via intuitive eating pioneers Elyse Resch, M.S., R.D., F.A.D.A., C.E.D.R.D, and Evelyn Tribole, M.S., R.D.
Over the past couple of years I’ve given 50+ talks to, and developed programs for, companies such as BMO, Starbucks, Flight Centre, RioCan, eOne, KPMG, LEAGUE, MarS, Universe, and several law offices on topics related to mental health and cognitive performance. I believe, with every fibre of of my being, that optimal health begins with scream-it-from-the-rooftops happiness and stress management strategies.
Interested in working together? Check out my options over here.